Saturday, April 25, 2009

Final Galois Group lectures of the semester

Dear All,

You are invited to attend the last Galois Group lectures of the semester (and maybe my last one too!). Two lectures will be given next Wednesday (29th April) at 1:10pm in room G.205 by Speaker 1 - Linux for Mathematicians - a simple introduction; and by Speaker 2 - A "Group Calculator" to help in learning group theory. (Abstracts below).

The lectures are open to everyone, and registration is not required. Please do come along and make this event a success. Free refreshments will also be available at the end

For further information or any queries, please feel free to contact Dr. M.D Coleman or myself.

See you all there!

Best wishes, Beans
--------------------------------------------
Wednesday 29th April 2009 - 1:10 - 2pm
Alan Turing Building room G.205

Speaker 1
Abstract - Linux for Mathematicians ? a simple introduction
Drawing on approximately twenty years experience in writing and maintaining software in various aircraft stress offices, I intend to discuss why I believe programming skills are likely to be very useful to any mathematician who works with numbers.

I shall consider a few topics which are of interest to individuals rather than to employers, and show that computers allow mathematicians to get results which, a few years ago, would have needed large teams of people.

I shall also discuss the Linux operating system, and its support groups, as I believe this provides a suitable environment for people wishing to develop computer skills without relying on an employer.

AND

Speaker 2
Abstract - A "Group Calculator" to help in learning group theory
As an undergrad trying to grasp what symmetry groups are all about, I would have found it useful to have an easy "group theory calculator" to experiment with simple examples of groups. When I could not find a suitable program on the Internet, I set about writing one to teach myself basic group theory. Other students might find this a helpful study aid, so the talk will outline what the Calculator does. You can download it, plus fully worked examples, from mathstudio.co.uk.

No comments: