Thursday, October 23, 2008

Three quotes

A lot I have to say today, but there's not a lot of time I'm afraid, hence why I will leave you with three "coolish quotes".

(1) Failure is not the only punishment for laziness; there is also the success of others.

- Jules Renard

(2) What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

(3) Realism...has no more to do with reality than anything else.
- Hob Broun

Number (1) is painfully true but not in a mean way. The success of others just reminds you on what you could have achieved modulo laziness! Meh. Number (2) is not very nice and I'm glad that such a thing is not the case. ;) You see I have to console myself with the fact that although people don't take in what I say, they can't exactly shut me out and ignore me! The best they can do is kick me out, which although painful at times (depends on whether I land on my head) is easy to recover from. (I can just imagine the number of people who read such quote with despair...). And number (3) I just pasted for it came after the first two...

My post about today (Thursday) will most likely be tomorrow during the time my Applied CA lecture would have been! Why? Well the lecture has been cancelled *cue evil laugh*!

A lot to say I have about certain things, but I shall resist and instead I will say that tea at Blackwell's is quite nice. You see it's 22:41 and I know that if I start typing a post on today and the Measure Theory lecture in particular, I will be here for a whole hour which is not a productive use of my time. (Not when there's Topology to be done!) It suffices to say that today's lecture was quite cool and I wasn't the chicken I normally am when I spot a "typo" on the board! (One nil to the bean...).

Okay it's 22:43, I better get going now... . Oh and did I mention how glad I am to have chosen Measure Theory as my third year module instead of fourth year one? (And that's thanks to Prof. S' too, which means that I probably owe him more than he owes me now! But we don't want to tell him that....).

2 comments:

Abg said...

My all-time favourite:

"Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it." - Gordon R. Dickson

Beans said...

Hi Abg,

I must confess that I'm guilty of doing such a thing, although not for said person in your comment!