Saturday, August 23, 2008

Homepages and html Disasters

A five minute rant. I hate (with a fiery passion) making web pages. The outcome is clear to me - I see what I want to achieve however I can't make it blimmin' work. Humbug. Drat and double drat. Wymi? (Can you think of any other cartoon character phrases that I might have missed?)

For those who know my University address (or my name) you can see for yourselves what I mean. The current mess I have created is online.

I had thought that dream weaver would make my life easy. I was mistaken. I then tried to be "clever" and made a blog on Wordpress and "stole" the theme I was using! (Well I just copied the source code with the attribution present.) This theme opens up perfectly in Firefox but it goes all wrong in Internet Explorer. What to do then, I ask? Should I let IE users suffer or do I try to fix it? I spend some time fixing it and my patience has now snapped. To hell with this website I cry. Why the heck can't I just make it simple and cack? Why do I see such big visions? (I have a "Charmed" moment.)

Sigh. Double Sigh. I can't fix the theme in IE and I am close to giving up. Three websites have already been painfully constructed and I am going to have one final go tonight.

My criteria: three fixed columns (centred?) with the left column a link bar, and the right column advertising the latest lecture. That's the main part which I can't do. Actually here's what the theme I knicked appears like (however I have changed the colours). Is that too much to ask for?

I actually quite like the mess that's online now (but not more than my first design which didn't make it!) but it just won't work. :( Times like these I wish I had an expert web designer on my team, and all I had to do was tell them what I wanted and kazam it worked!

Back to the drawing board for me now. I need this website made by the end of September. More joy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to try this, http://www.glish.com/css/3.asp, and change the CSS appropriately.

Beans said...

Thanks anonymous - I will have a bash at it and report here. :)

(Truth be told, since my post I have done nothing about the website. Crikey!)