Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Some Latin Abbreviations

Latin abbreviations do tend to pop up quite often, and I recall googling "et al" once upon a time! So below is a list of some abbreviations and the meanings, which I found on the internet.

a) cf -- compare
b) etc. -- and so on
c) viz. -- namely
d) c. -- around, about
e) N.B. -- note well, pay attention
f) et al. -- and the others
g) ibid. -- in the same place
h) i.e. -- that is
i) e.g. -- for example

I actually didn't know a few of them it seems, I mean "c", where would you ever see that?

3 comments:

Jake said...

c. or circa is usually used connections with dates e.g. Pythagoras was born circa 580 B.C.

steve said...

"c", where would you ever see that?
History - see Circa

Beans said...

Thanks Jake and Steve.

I have seen circa around, but didn't realise that it was the same as c.