Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Let me just ask James... my Calculus book"

Is it just me or does everyone end up referring to their books by who the author is? I was sitting talking to myself (whilst trying to make sense of horrible notation) and found myself saying,

"Lets see what James says on this--he always know what to say!"

After which I proceeded to hunt my calculus book from the shelf, and find the required chapter. (You have heard of James before in case you were wondering!)

That means I have James, Peter, Hilary, Ian and on the list goes, sitting in my room waiting for me to consult them. Cool. (I do the same when consulting my lecture notes too...)

Anyway, don't throw anything at me yet I will return to my revision soon! (I'm on a tea break...) I am the horrible, annoying person who wants to understand the concepts (as opposed to trying to just concentrate on being able to answer the questions) which is why I struggling through the following passage. Let me know if you can make sense of it:

James did help, but his notation is "nicer" and different. I am wasting too long in trying to make sense of five lines, I know, but old habits die hard. (Ouch--that's an old saying!)

4 comments:

Anatoly said...

"Is it just me or does everyone end up referring to their books by who the author is?"
Well, you are not alone.. I do exactly the same. The author name is shorter than the book title.

Beans said...

Hi Anatoly,

I guess it explains why I can never remember the books name, whenever they are discussed! Conversations like this are very frequent:

"The book by James Stewart has a good explanation on the chain rule."
"Oh right, what's the book called?"
"Erm... it has a white cover page and is rather big, but erm... I can't remember what its called! I'll check and let you know..."

Do you find that you "talk to yourself" when you revise maths? (Loudly that is).

Anatoly said...

Hi
When I revise I am usually too focus to talk to anyone, myself included. Once I was asked three times if I am hungry until I actually understood the question - it takes time to get from R^n to 3D, I guess...
Sometimes math is more fascinating than reality, isn't? :)

Beans said...

Hi,

I can't disagree with your last sentence, and it is only when I talk to others about what I've just revised that I actually come back to earth!

I tend to talk maths to myself (loudly) when revising i.e. I have a conversation with myself about a theorem or some definitions. I can't do this any more because I've lost my voice, which is pretty annoying!