Tuesday, April 08, 2008


If anyone is able to use Maple, Mathematica or Matlab to compute integrals of differential forms, then please drop me an email or post a comment! (Possibly before 10am today!)

I just need an answer to be checked. Why is it important? Well I have got a third answer, which is yet again different!! My (tedious) method is correct but I just keep on making silly sign errors etc. (the way you do...). I can't believe no two people have yet to have the same answer.

This will be remembered for a very long time.


KTC said...

Use Maple : yes
Before 10am : no

I could maybe help assuming I can get Maple to work on my computer again. However, it does help if you detail the actual question and the answers you guys been getting. ;)

Jake said...

I don't know how to get any software to integrate k-forms but you don't need to do that to check your answer. Just make a substitution so you can transform the integral into one of a 0-form over a simple cube and then plug that expression in and use the computer to integrate as normal. It isn't much work as you don't have to expand out the expression (except perhaps you need to calculate a little by hand to simplify and cancel the wedge products) but that is less than 10% of the work (for that question anyway)

Beans said...

Hey KTC,

Thanks for the offer, but the coursework has been handed in now. (Good riddance I say!)

Hi Jake,

What software would you use to "integrate as normal"?

Jake said...

I use software called MathCad for that. It isn't as powerful as say Maple and it doesn't have the same level of functionality but it is pretty simple to use and can do integrals, differentiation, simplifying expressions, graphing etc.

I don't know how much it costs though - I got a free copy somewhere.