Friday, February 01, 2008

Mathematics in Society Lecture 2008

I spied with my little eye, the following general audience lecture organised by the School of Mathematics\{The Galois Group}. It is going to take place on Wednesday 27th February, and before the alert reader asks the question about a Galois Group lecture clash, let me assure you that this lecture will be starting at 4pm whereas ours starts at 1.10pm.

I am now going to shamelessly copy the information from the school's webpage, and I will begin with information on how to book your place (if indeed you want to attend):


"The lecture is free to attend and open to University of Manchester staff, students, alumni, as well as to the general public. Places however are limited so pre booking is compulsory. Please register online or call 0161 306 3641 to book your place."

So what is this new thing that I have spied, and that has perked my interest? Well...

"This inaugural Mathematics in Society Lecture sponsored by BP, is the first in a new lecture series hosted by the School of Mathematics which is designed to showcase the contribution of mathematics to art, music, literature, economic, social and political life. "

I don't know how much "proper" maths is going to be discussed, but I will be attending due to my curious nature.

The main course of this lecture is:

4.20pm Professor Peter Diggle, Department of Medicine, Lancaster University

Title: A Tale of Two Parasites
Onchocerciasis (river blindness) is a major public health problem in wet tropical regions. The African Programme for Onchocerciasis Control (APOC) seeks to reduce the public health burden of onchocerciasis by treating whole communities prophylactically with a filaricidal drug, Ivermectin. To date, more than 30million people have been treated. However, although Ivermectin is very effective in preventing onchocerciasis, it can cause severe, occasionally fatal, adverse reactions when given to individuals who are heavily co-infected with Loa loa (eyeworm). For this reason, APOC's policy guidelines include a directive to put precautionary measures in place before mass treatment with Ivermectin in areas of high Loa loa prevalence. The talk will describe how spatial statistical modelling is contributing to the implementation of this policy.

Followed by,

5.30pm Professor Judith Howard (CBE, FRS) Chairman of Chemistry Department, Durham University

Title: A higher degree of concern: UK Science Matters
This talk will be based on the Royal Society’s reports on higher education in STEM subjects, for which Judith Howard chaired the working group. Phase 1 was published at the end of 2006 and the new report, Phase 2, will be published at the end of January 2008.

---

I have obviously not included the refreshment break in between, but it is my intention to leave just before 6pm, so it's not such a big deal. (Although it's meant to end at 6:15pm!) This is a shame in a sense, because I would enjoy the discussion afterwards, but it all depends on how I feel on that day. If the link didn't work, then you can get more information here. That day is going to be very busy indeed, and I have just noticed that there is a Post graduate open day then as well! However I hope that PS is able to attend the Galois Group lecture, and indeed we get a good turn out again. (It's the student lectures on that Wednesday--do come and show your support. Pretty please!)

Would this be something you would attend? For the first time I have not obliged the Tweenies to accompany me, which makes me feel good about something. I don't care about being there on my lonesome anymore, but if you are attending, do drop a comment (so I can avoid you of course! Ha ha ha bom bom). I will say no more for I am at University at the moment and need a drink. (Don't want to ahem pollute this post with today's adventures).

No comments: