Sunday, November 11, 2007

A weekend full of nothing.

What have I done this weekend? Nothing. Plain and simply nothing. Wait a second... there is this one thing which I have been spending too long on! Thinking about it makes me want to bang my head against the wall, but wait for it... I have been creating my own homepage. Well rather I have been playing around with it and trying my bestest to get it validated. Why, I don't know. But I am greatly annoyed at myself, in a satisfied sort of way. I know I have wasted my weekend, but at least I have accomplished something. (Even though it will not be helping me in any exam whatsoever!)

Obviously I am not going to link the page here, but what I can display here is:

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


That is basically my winning medal. I think what I have learnt this weekend is too much html codes! Not enough to consider myself an expert, but enough to get by. It is mind boggling at times, but it is a bit like learning or rather using LaTeX. The validators are good indicators of what you are doing wrong.

I might as well stick a few things that someone in my position might find helpful. Firstly, for any web page you can view the page source (click "View/page source"). What I firstly did was to try and change someone else's pages source. I don't know if permission is required, but DC knows about it so all is well. I wanted something simple and by using his page I got my own skeleton, albeit rather crooked. However, slowly a web page was forming and I even learnt how to host files on my site. As I worked on my site, the sense of accomplishment drew nearer.

Having set everything up, "validation" was proving to be a problem. Namely because the next few lines were missing:

  [ !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" ]


[ html lang="en" ]
[ head]
[ meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" ]
I have used the square brackets here, for even though I know what I could write I do not have the memory to recall such things! (Well I remember le; but that's it!) And I am too lazy to check for it's bed time soon.

The above is not necessary, but it was needed for the site to be validated. The one thing which I am trying to set up now is more complicated, hence my wasted weekend. I want a sentence, which if you click opens up a paragraph describing the sentence. When you click on it again, the paragraph shrinks.

It is to do with java (I think) and mouse events, but sadly it was then that I realised that I could go no further. Maybe next weekend I will give it a bash, however if anyone out there has any idea what I can do, help would be greatly appreciated!

Another cool thing which I can now do is this! Also, get reading for a taster session:

I will have a post one day using this. However at this moment it is enough to post a paragraph. This is pretty cool, if I may say so myself!

Any guess on what that says?! Not quite perfect, but it is better than nothing.

I know that this week I will suffer the consequences of my... foolishness and stupidity, but I am honestly sick of tests and revising! Six is too many and stats and PDEs are just GRRR. Honestly if it was the algebra one (sniff) then I would be revising! The tests shouldn't be causing me this much stress, however one thing that I am worried about is how much I am falling behind in other courses.

Maybe I should listen to people when they tell me about staying focused on my studies... Or am I just making excuses for being a lazy so and so again! Hopefully I can do some revision tomorrow.

2 comments:

KTC said...

Now you just need to get it to validate as XHTML, preferably strict. ;P

w3schools have a good reference that you might want to have a look at if you didn't know about it already.

Also, I guess you can do what you want with Java, but you were probably thinking of JavaScript.

You might want to take a look at this site as it has basically exactly what you need.

Беанс said...

Hi KTC,

You really don't want me to get any work done, do you?! ;)

Thanks for the links, I will most likely be looking through them this weekend.

Yes - I meant java script! I spoke to someone else this morning, explaining my situation and they started talking about frames. I nodded my head and pretended to understand, but really I would prefer having a java script.

(I've even got my own google calender!!)