Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Maths Town

I heard this song in a movie the other day, and I felt like posting it today.

Frank SinatraThis Town


This town is a lonely town
Not the only town like-a this town
This town is a make-you town
Or a break-you-town and bring-you-down town

This town is a quiet town
Or a riot town like this town
This town is a love-you town
And a shove-you-down and push-you-'round town

[instrumental]

This town is an all-right town
For an uptight town like-a this town
This town, it's a use-you town
An abuse-you town until-you're-down town

This town is a losin' town
It's a miserable town
It's a nowhere town
And I am leavin' this town
You better believe that I'm leavin' this town
Man, it could never be uptown
It's bound to be downtown

[Fade]

This town, bye-bye
Bye, bye, bye, bye, bye-bye


I don't normally post songs or song lyrics, but surprisingly the substitution maths town makes perfect sense. It has a really nice feel to it that song does, and it has been playing in my head all day today. Well actually only one verse has, since that is all I heard of it! Is that a sad song, you decide? I don't think it is "sad", but it has a sad sound to it.

In perfect Lord of The Rings style, "I feel old Frodo". So begin the days when I look back on the holidays, and wonder about ever wishing them to end! Actually, I did want them to end, but I want them to start again now. "I feel old Frodo". But what to do? I have let things get on top of me, and I am losing my focus. I should be focused on my studies: on Hyperbolic geometry. As you have gathered, the steam engine that used to operate my posts has also become old. I know the real reason for this and I am ashamed for that reason.

As a famous mathematician said today, "To hell with what everyone else thinks." (in a manner of speaking!) Shame I am yet unable to adopt this philosophy yet. The advice I was given was actually very sensible, and appreciated. What is there to fear? "If you are going to do something you want, then what does it matter about what others think or say. It is not like you might see them again in a few years." So the advice continued. If I am being honest, I do tend to think like that at most times due to my "nature". Let us use the sandwich rule and let |me| \le weirdness. Then as x tend to 'me', + or -weirdness tends to weirdness, hence I tend to weirdness by the sandwich rule. [I can actually prove that now, and still remember my promise of posting it: such a beautiful theorem!] I know that is a load of mathematical 'bull', as a scouse friend of mine would have said. It has been one of them days (i.e. I did 1/n amount of work, as n \to infinity!)

I think when one cares about what others think, they are restricting their options and things that they can do in life. When will it stop? When will you do something without caring? Why does it matter to us at times, how we may be perceived by others? What am I scared of on this occasion? [Surprisingly that brought a smile to my face!] I swore today on numerous occasions - I was badly behaved. I cursed when the boiling water somehow missed the mug and went over me; when I was too busy trying to see whether my bus home had come, so that I crossed the road without looking... and a car was there! When I forgot to ... and so it continued. Tuesday's are infinitely worser than Mondays.

The bubble has to pop soon, and let us(i.e. me!) hope that it is a painless transaction. I will see you all tomorrow - 4pm sharp. Should be fun, but it is rather inconveniently timed for me... Anyone know of any mathematical life jackets out there? There is a back log on my posts, but last Fridays episode of 'Oscillating Friday's' has a technical difficulty, and will be running as soon as possible! I am reading quite an interesting book at the moment, and will be talking about that soon. Don't hold your breath though, for reading is somewhat difficult for me at the moment. And if anyone dared ask what book(!) then please please don't expect me to answer your question. (It's a maths book by the way!)

1 comment:

Беанс said...

That famous mathematician happened to be DC. (Note for the future!)