Saturday, September 08, 2007

Still alive.

(This is yesterday's quick post.)

Last night I choked on an orange piece. I could leave it at that, but as someone said to me, I like making a mountain out of a mole hill! (Pfft- I don't think I even remembered that correctly).

It was actually quite horrific. That is the second time in my life that I have choked; the first being in year 9 when I was in secondary school. (Annie had stood laughing, whilst AM had sorted me out!) The year 9 incident had been erm... trivial compared to yesterdays since it had been drink.

The orange had partially gone down but got stuck. Eugh. I spluttered, coughed my guts out but it stayed stuck. Everyone froze. You see, my tonsils play up a lot and I always lose my voice or get a nasty cough, so initially my tonsils were suspected. However, as the darn orange piece remained stuck the situation became serious. It was actually quite freaky! The orange was stuck between my oesophagus (gullet) and wind pipe (my epiglotis wasn't doing its job properly). Thankfully, although it wasn't AM sorting me out this time, someone did. After that I couldn't finish my meal - I could feel the orange piece still stuck there. I was reduced to breathing heavily and drinking lots of water, but one thing that taught me was that one second you're here and the next you're not. Oh, and I realised that there is a reason why I prefer apples, pears and bananas rather than oranges!! But yeah, a I'm still alive (thankfully).

No comments: