Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Cheating in maths...

... i.e. 'adding zero'. Pft. Call it whatever you want, but don't tell me that it's a trick!!

I have been told that it can make things nicer, but do you reckon that things can be done without adding in zero? I mean, how many proofs have relied on this so-called trick? What if it wasn't used?

EDIT: I don't think my computer wants me to post this - the Internet died whilst I searched for an image. Back to the drawing board it is, i.e. paint and then waiting for the net to start to working again!

Wooh- it's working again, and my google search seems to only come up with this:
I'm sure you'd agree that my 'work of art' in Paint is much erm... better\sout{?}.


Don't hold back on the compliments now. ;) *runs for cover*


OK, I confess it is a nice trick, but one which I can never spot or think about doing, hence my ... sweet bitterness!

3 comments:

egm said...

I remember for some of my classes when the professors would talk of tricks used in simplifying calculations I'd be stuck wondering what the heck just happened. It took a while to get used to these "tricks"!

beans said...

I think (or hope) that with practise, we can apply tricks ourselves. But that is a tricky business! *cough*

In my case, I know that once upon a time, some genius sat and thought to himself, 'Hmmm, this makes things look nicer so lets do it', and this became known as a trick. Some tricks are indeed obvious, but I'm sure that others aren't; and I wouldn't mind knowing more, about how it was decided to use them tricks.

In that way at least I will remember some of them! (I seem to have forgotten a few used in analysis you see.)

Anonymous said...

Something that may be of use to any one trying to do Financial Mathematics and wants to make their life easier is the announcement made by PerTOOLS this morning. I have pasted the press release below:

PerTOOLS Announce Free Academic Licenses
PerTOOLS (www.pertools.com) has today announced the launch of their new Academic Licenses for their market leading Time-Series Analysis tool, PerTOOLS Financial Analysis for Excel.
Paul Darvell, Founder of PerTOOLS said “I am delighted to be announcing our new Academic Licenses. Our products are designed to help benefit today’s Financial Analysts. This Academic program will extend these benefits to tomorrow’s Financial Analysts as well. Our Financial Analysis product can be used by anybody wishing to do financial calculations in MS Excel. This new academic license will enable us to handle the many requests that we receive from students.”
The Academic Licenses will mean that Universities and Colleges can install PerTOOLS Financial Analysis for Excel free of charge on all of their computers for use by Students and Lecturers. Students who want their own version can purchase the software for an admin fee of 90GBP. This represents a 90% discount on the standard cost.