Thursday, May 24, 2007

My kind of lottery

A mathematician organizes a lottery in which the prize is an infinite amount of money. When the winning ticket is drawn, and the jubilant winner comes to claim his prize, the mathematician explains the mode of payment: "1 dollar now, 1/2 dollar next week, 1/3 dollar the week after that..."
---

I've grown to 'love' the sequence (1/n), and now this- marvellous! :o (My Dad actually laughed at this as well- and then well he did shake his head in the 'what are we going to do with you beans' way!)

2 comments:

egm said...

Someone somewhere said something (4 s's in a row!) to the effect that that the lottery is a tax for the mathematically challenged.

beans said...

Lol, that's alliteration right? :o

I've never bothered with the lottery. I only recall my mum getting a ticket once, and choosing the days we were born! (Obviously we didn't win :D)


(sorry if I'm not making sense- I need sleep, but I have to eat as well. :/ )