Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Low on inspiration!

Yes, it's true, I've done ...... all! (insert colourful word where appropriate ;)). Crap all was what came to mind, but then I decided that sentence would not have been well defined, so left it blank!

'Maybe tomorrow' is what I keep telling myself, maybe tomorrow I'll get myself into gear that is. Then again on the other hand, maybe the five days of doing ..... all is what I needed? The semester so far has been pretty stressful and fast, maybe I needed to 'not' do anything? As always, when you find yourself in a position in which you didn't see yourself in, you tend to 'panic'. Or is that just me? My theory is that I'll do my Linear Algebra revision like I would for the end of year exam. I know that this coursework test is only 15% (did I say only!), but we don't exactly get a lot of time afterwards for revision (unlike the Christmas holidays). You see I tend to talk a lot of ...... . I say I'm going to do one thing and end up doing something else.

Today I had decided to invite the Tweenies over to my house. Well those who hadn't gone home for Easter. Well really Milo, but since Bella lives about 20 minutes away, I invited her as well. Milo couldn't go home because it's too much of a hassle, so I thought it made sense that he got a tour of my home town, which is really cool^(infinity), if you're wondering! Obviously you mathematicians are not going to believe that. You want me to 'prove' it! Well I will refer you to this post, and, well you can choose whichever proof method you find most fitting! (Intimidation could get interesting!). I can't even leave it as an exercise, which I would have probably done, since you don't where 'home' is. Ok, now that's out of the way (any disputes can be mentioned in the comments section) I'll move on.

Milo lives in Manchester (duh), and since Milo is from down South, he didn't really know how to get to my house. So using this as an excuse to go the library, I got up super early (read 8:15am!) and got to Manchester 9:30ish. I wanted to really get some mechanics books out from the library, but once I got there, I was soon wishing that I could take more than three books out. The maximum number of books I can have is 20, so yeah, I now have 20 books! They're not all maths books before you get worried! I erm ... well would you class books like 'Nature's Numbers' and 'How to Solve it' as Maths books? They're for the general audience are they not? The thing is that I still have quite a few books which I got during the first semester that need returning. I have a reason for keeping these, since sometimes I erm.. do tend to look over the stuff that we did during the first semester. Just briefly I suppose, nothing too heavy on the grey matter. (where the heck did that phrase come from anyway?!).

Oops rambling again! Anyway, the mechanics books were next to the physics ones. That once again made me remember why I don't particularly like mechanics- it bleeding sits right next to Physics! (Note to school physics teacher- I'm blaming you for this. muhahaha!). I really had no idea which book to get. 'Classical mechanics', 'dynamics' etc were words flying of the shelves. The book recommend was not to be found. I couldn't even bring myself to look through a few to see if they had anything 'relevant' in them! So has anyone got any good mechanics books which they'd recommend? I finally got this one (had the word 'Newton' in the contents). After I got these books I then met up with Milo so we could go to my house together. [just remembered that in the book 'Beaver Towers' there used to be three 'mechanics' who were called 'Mick' 'Ann' and 'Nick', can't remember the author but we read it in Year 6 in primary school!]

The funny(well not so funny) thing is that the night before I had 'hidden' the other 17 books, and some others which I have! Haha, trust me it was for the best. Also the small post it notes that i have stuck on my wall, with the quotes that I post had to go! They're back in their normal places now, but Milo and Bella would have probably fainted upon seeing the books. I had just left the course books which we all 'had to' buy on the floor and they were pretty amused at that as well. Just because I have them books doesn't mean I use them all the time. They're there for when I get stuck or need to quickly look up something, and since I have more than one in each 'subject' I get a good overall understanding of what I'm after (hopefully).

Eventually we got to my house, and it was good. Maybe for a second I did think- aaah need to start working, or was it a minute, but overall the time pleasantly passed by. I showed them bits and pieces of the 'coolest' town, and then they went. If anyone else wants a tour then I'm afraid they no longer operate. You'll have to wait for the summer holidays now. Only special circumstances would allow me to give another tour in the next few weeks (email me ;) ). OK, I'm chatting...... again. I tend to do a lot, but today seems a special case of this.

I played cricket again today, but I was well behaved and didn't ball. I obviously wasn't too pleased at this since I tend to get 'bored' with batting - especially since it's pretty restrictive playing in the back yard. You see I can't exactly feel the ball hitting the middle of the bat and going out 'of the ground' so to speak. We have to be more reserved, and guide the ball nicely along the ground. Pfft. I really need to get a new football! (my old one is a bit under the weather, and I have no pump).

Now I had intended to post another 'neat' ickle theorem, but I'm just going to make another post for that. However, I'm going to resist the temptations of this blog for the next few days and see whether I can concentrate on getting some work done. (so if you're going to lose some light entertainment I'm sorry). It's not really this blog that is distracting me, but because of this blog I have a 'need' to go on the computer, after which I waste too much time. Now there's a prize available to anyone who could thing of a cool way to write something like what I'm going to write in a minute, but it has to be about computers, the net and time wasting etc.

All men are mortal.
Socrates is a man.

Socrates is mortal.

It's known as 'syllogism' and, well I said I was short on inspiration, but tomorrow I'll see what I can muster. (mystery prize- doesn't that tickle your pickle? :D) I don't know why, but I see this as 'poetry'! Now we were told in my FIRST EVER lecture (I remember it like it was yesterday- infinity was mentioned!), that Math's is like a language and imagine that you have to go to Russia and live there without knowing any Russian. Thus, you eventually pick up 'Russian' or learn it to live there. Maths at university is a slightly similar experience. You know nothing, but to survive you have to train yourself to know certain things and the rest hopefully follows. Damn that was another aside, but I might as well try to say what I want by having a lame attempt at the syllogism thingy.

All languages have an element of poetry.
Maths is a 'language'.
Maths has an element of poetry?


If you're really feeling sick after reading that, then I'm sorry! But if you're having a good old chuckle then I don't mind. I was trying to say that we study languages at school. English is a language that we study at school. In English we study poetry. Maths is another 'language' you study at school, so maths has poetry. OK I'll stop now before I embarrass myself further. All I flippin want to say is that I find syllogism like poetry! There I said it. They're like mathematical poems. I never understood poetry hence I'll probably never understand this. That wasn't too hard was it! Hmpf.

I can't believe where I started and where I ended up. I'm just going to resist the temptation of writing any new posts, life-threatening situations might be given special circumstances, but I'm going to restrict myself to comments only. I hope your Easter holidays are going better than mine.

9 comments:

Jake said...

Well my Easter holidays have followed a similar trend so far but to be honest, I forsaw that I would want a few days off before knuckling down so I really only planned to start this weekend anyway. This way it means anything I do tommorrow and Friday will be a bonus and it has given me a chance to take care of all the loose ends for a while as well (e.g. tidy the house, visit my mother, watch a couple of movies).

I have found in general that you need to give yourself a bit of slack and if you are probably not going to be able to keep the schedule you set, it is probably best to set up a new one; not only will you be more organised and less likely to fall further behind but psychologically, you enjoy the break more knowing that you aren't just putting things off.

On a lighter note, I had a bit of a tour of Manchester myself the other day; I was going to my mother's house and she has only recently moved to a new area. I have driven there before but this time I was coming from somewhere else and I took a wrong turning somewhere and I realised that I didn't actually know the address! I only knew vaguely how I had driven there last time and what it looked like, so I ended up doing a few good laps of the area before I arrived there.

beans said...

Maybe I was being too hard on myself by only having the weekend off. I don't think that I can really afford any more days off, but like you suggested a 'new plan' is in order. I don't really do plans, since most times they never succeed but having a general idea is always nice!

It's just that it seems like I have so much to do (stats courswork, mechanics coursework, linear algebra revision, catch up sequence and series, linear algebra and mecahincs homework!! ....) and that I won't be able to complete everything! Grr- sorry, just annoyed at myself. I could have at least done one thing!

Which area has your mother moved to? Shame you didn't have a reliable tour guide ;). Haha, you need a sat nav system! At least now you're familiar with the area in case the same thing happens again (which I doubt it will). :D

Jake said...

Which area has your mother moved to? Shame you didn't have a reliable tour guide ;). Haha, you need a sat nav system! At least now you're familiar with the area in case the same thing happens again (which I doubt it will).

Knowing me it is quite possible that I should do something similar again...she moved to Whitefield having previously been in Prestwich near Crumpsall which was very easy to find (pretty much one main road from town). Even though I lived in North Manchester for a while; I still don't know my way around it so well and definately not as far out as Whitefield!

beans said...

Well if you were walking I'd suggest the string theory, but I'm guessing thats just to help you find your way back! On the other hand, after you've made the trip a few more times it'll be easier to remember (I hope).

Well I've lived in my hometown for my whole life, and I certainly don't know my way around it! I can safely guide you through my 'area' and a few others, but there are some areas which are alien to me!

Jake said...

Well if you were walking I'd suggest the string theory

I'm intrigued...a practical application of string theory? ;)


I can safely guide you through my 'area' and a few others, but there are some areas which are alien to me!

Well, I have lived in Preston for about a year now and I still don't know my way around at all!

beans said...

I didn't mean that- and you know it! Damn, got to be careful about what I say nowadays! :D (You do know what I mean don't you? ;) )

Hmmm, Preston. I hear that doesn't have a LEA. So how would you erm rate Preston? ~innocent face~

Jake said...

I didn't mean that- and you know it! Damn, got to be careful about what I say nowadays! :D (You do know what I mean don't you? ;) )

Yeah, I was just kidding ;)

Hmmm, Preston. I hear that doesn't have a LEA. So how would you erm rate Preston? ~innocent face~

I hadn't heard that but I am pretty sure that they must have an LEA? (unless the area falls under a larger district perhaps?). I didn't actually apply to Preston Council for my grants/loans etc. though. I was living in Bolton immediately before I went to university and because I am classed as an 'independent' student, I had to apply to the LEA where I was living, even though they knew I would be moving as soon as I went started university so all the funding I get actually comes from Bolton LEA, even though I only lived there for a year.

Preston is ok but obviously not as good as Manchester. Where I live is alright; just pretty average kind of area really.

beans said...

Hehe, phew! I would never deliberately refer to strings- never!

I think there LEA is in Blackburn. (I have my contacts ;) ). You've moved around a lot, haven't you! Cool.(Although my home town is cool (as we've deduced) I wouldn't mind moving somewhere else- it'd be an adventure/challenge of some sort!)

Gah, I've got to start sorting the fees business out for next year now. Thanks for your comments on Preston :D They will have there uses!

Jake said...

Gah, I've got to start sorting the fees business out for next year now. Thanks for your comments on Preston :D They will have there uses!

Yes, I tried to sort out my student finance online but the system didn't show up the grants I should be entitled to so it didn't leave me feeling too confident; I think I will just fill in the paper forms again.