Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Cold sweat

After the recent post by anon, I've been slightly knocked of balance! Ok, not slightly- very. (I've just this tape playing in my head, where a lecturer turns up and says 'can I have a word with beans at the end' and all eyes turn to me! scary!) It's 6:42 am, and I didn't quite manage to wake up at 3:30 am. It was more of 4:30am. I've revised most of the topics, just need to understand how to solve non-linear ODE's and do the last two example sheets again.

I don't quite know how to describe the sensation my heart is currently feeling, but it's not normal. I'm faced with two options now, but I'm not sure which to choose. For the moment, I'm not going to choose any, but I know that that is not the best option!

*sigh*

I was actually going to post something else 'more interesting' I hoped, but I'll save that for another day (maybe later today if you're lucky!).

Yesterday I kind of over did the 'walking' I'm afraid. I'd taken my Differential Equation book with me, so my bag was pretty heavy, but that didn't stop me. It was Monday, what can you expect? (It has to be heavy to help me walk on Oxford Road!). Anyway as I was walking down a road, talking to myself like normal, I got into a stupid competition with a tall guy on walking as well. I don't know why I do this, but in one way it helps me to get to my destination slightly faster and well, what's the point of walking if you're going to walk backwards? So this guy was taller than me, so he had an obvious advantage! I did pretty well, but alas towards the end he beat me. (I blame the shins.) Thankfully I no longer find myself out of breath after walking at such a pace, so I guess that is an improvement.

So, I've walked to my office(!) and I'm feeling fine. After a while I headed over to the Sackville street Building. Now this was were I was undone. There was only one lift working and there were millions (hyperbole ;) ) of people queuing for it. I was running late. The stairs seemed the natural option. Yep to the top floor of the building. Nope, I'm not mad. Seriously! So I marched up the stairs, taking two at a time until I reached E floor. I couldn't take it any longer! My heart was pounding (a bit like now!). My legs were like lead. So natural instinct took over and I headed for the lift. It didn't come.

I didn't manage to slightly catch my breath back, during this wait, so once again I headed for the stairs. I didn't realise that I had time, so once again rushed up, huffing and puffing. (Don't worry, the weird looks were still given!). However, once I got to H floor, I couldn't take it any longer. The thought of climbing anymore stairs was painful. So once again I headed for the lift. It came this time. I felt like a cheat. You know when you've done the most difficult bit of a question, but can't dig the easy but out and get help. That's how it felt. I got to my destination in one piece thankfully and have come to the conclusion, that walking doesn't do you any good. But walking up the stairs does you good. Walking doesn't get your heart pumping blood as does half running up the stairs. So I will definitely be taking the stairs in that building again someday. (I've got to compensate not playing football anymore.)! Or any other building for that matter (unless I have a time constraint obviously).

You'd think that I would have learnt my lesson by then, and given my limbs and poor heart the rest of the day off. Alas, that wasn't to be. I couldn't help but run for the bus. The next one would have taken ages! Once again, the blood was pumping, and if I hadn't been to worried about how unhealthy I was I would I have enjoyed the moment. It did look more of a joke whilst I was running, but who cares, I got to the bus stop in time! I'm not sure about this, but isn't recovery the most important thing? I mean doesn't it depend on when your heartbeat returns to normal?

Ah well, it was a good day overall yesterday apart from coming home and crashing out. My hate for mechanics seems to be decreasing slightly! I'm not going to be definite about this, but yesterday we did something about gravitation fields (I think) and I learnt where the value 'g' (9.8 m/s^2) came from. You see that was interesting! Why don't they teach you that at college in mechanics. The main problem I have with mechanics is it's physicy nature. My further maths classmate did Physics AS as well, so she used to breeze through the stuff. Since my understanding of physics isn't particularly great, and my feelings towards it ain't particularly nice, I tend to carry the same thoughts to mechanics.

For example, I was fine with Differential Equations until we started oscillations. I'm them silly people who for eg in SHM, like to have my diagram, resolve the forces etc and then derive the equation. I don't like it when we're told this is the standard form of so and so, so just do this with it. Hence the main problem I have is trying to interpret the diagrams. (or drawing them correctly!). I'm going to keep the negative attitude towards mechanics looked up at the moment, since we're starting everything from the basics. So this should help me to get a better overall grasp of the subject. (Although I'm already scared when the lecturer mentioned angular something I think!).

After the lecture I had decided to do some revision in uni, but when I went to the reading room in the mss building, I think there was a class going on there. (or people didn't understand it was a reading room!). Frustrated I headed towards the library for some revising, but since there's building work going on in there, that the was second stupid decision made by me! There's no real reason to mention this, but as I was sitting there doing some questions, a guy from two tables in front asked me to please keep an eye on his stuff whilst he returned a book. Yes, you've got it, the person didn't know the real me! However responsibility tends to sometimes make a person more determined (well me anyway). So I dropped my pen and proceeded to watch the bag! :o

Don't worry nothing exciting happened. No one did attempt to rob the bag, so I didn't have to call upon my super powers to defend it. (Super duper sumo's just sprang to mind!! Does anyone remember that?)

So, that's enough of a break from revision. I'm tempted to actually go to toady's workshop lecture, because it's not fair on the lecturer since not many people do turn up. It'll depend on whether I finish the last few bits. (my heart rate has returned to normal, if you were wondering, but for how long! and if this post doesn't make sense, it's 7am thats why!)

2 comments:

Alexandre Borovik said...

Your yahoo e-mail is not working.

beans said...

Hi,

I've sent another one from the 'mother account'. Sorry about that, I was experimenting :o