Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Chaos! (I like it)

'Chaos makes it much easier to respond quickly to an outside stimulus. ... '

'A chaotic system can react to outside events much more quickly, and with much less effort, than a non chaotic one. ... '

'Living creatures, too, must behave chaotically in order to respond rapidly to a changing environment.'

'Basically, the idea is to make the butterfly effect work for you. The fact that small changes in initial conditions can create large changes in subsequent behavior can be an advantage; all you have to do is ensure that you get the large changes you want.'

So maths has an answer as to why I am who I am, and why I do what I do. Sweet isn't it. I'm probably kidding myself, but whilst reading them quotes from 'Nature's Numbers' by Ian Stewart I had a good old chuckle. So if you're wondering whether I fell as a child and banged my head, or whether the experiment that I performed in my further maths class (seeing if I bounced if I tried jumping out of the window) worked, then look no further for your answer.

I don't know why, but them parts of the chapter really stood out. I've yet to finish it (slowly does it!) but it's been an interesting read. I'm sure that I will have to read it again for it to properly click, but I don't mind. (I just want to finish it so I can get started on the letters one!). However, something 'unfortunate' happened on the way home. I tend to read the book whilst I'm commuting, and today I saw two people that I knew from school and college. I obviously hid (they're them people I mentioned that, well not very maths friendly), however I was spotted! They spotted the book, and obviously rolled there eyes, even as I explained that it wasn't an exercise book! What would they been like if I'd been doing some work? Ha. Anyway, I think I was slightly miffed at this 'intrusion', since then I had to be nice and make conversation when clearly I wanted to continue reading the book. Come to think of it, I'd have loved to see their faces if I'd started talking about all that stuff on chaos to them!

Not going to get distracted this time, just enjoy them quotes! ;) New definition for the beans- chaos or chaotic system. Scratch weird out for now or put brackets around it, but make sure you add this to it! (I do get kicks out of 'weird' things :p )

Note: I did not actually jump out of the window in my further maths class. Mr H, deemed it unnecessary since he knew that I would bounce. Since I hold him in high regard, I believe this to be true, unless you actually want me to prove it! So basically it's a 'DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME thing'!

No comments: